Yoga simply is the best technology available to humans that helps with our aging process. Here are six reasons why:
1. Improves mobility and flexibility – Yoga increases circulation in joints by flexing and stretching surrounding muscles. The gentle motions of yoga also help with gradual opening up of stiff joints. The net result is that there is remarkable improvement in mobility and flexibility that can be seen in as few as 12 weeks of regular practice.
2. Helps with balance– Falls are a significant cause of mortality amongst seniors. Most yoga postures are designed to improve balance. This improves confidence and reduces incidents related to falls.
3. Works wonders with memory – Yoga and meditation have been shown to reduce aging related shrinkage of the brain. Areas associated with memory and decision making in the brain not only stop shrinking, but also they can actually grow in size. Measurable results can be obtained in as less as 8 weeks of regular practice.
4. Reduces mental rigidity – Another critical aspect of yoga is that it has been shown to shrink the amygdala of the brain. This is the region of the brain associated with stress. This means yoga makes us less prone to trigger stress response. As we de-stress our outlook opens up and we become more amenable to reason and less rigid and inflexible.
5. Increases quality of life – Yoga improves sleep and we wake up fresh. Plummeting stress levels due to yoga has a wonderful impact on our lives. Mood improves and we become cheerful and less grumpy. We begin to notice sunrises and sunsets. Love makes a comeback in our life and we are able to mend fences and relationships.
6. Elongates life – People with lower stress levels who have strong social connections and who are active and happy are known to live longer. Doing yoga regularly allows us to not only live longer, it makes it worthwhile to do so.
Yoga will not prevent aging. But if you have aged at an accelerated pace it will reverse some of it. And it will definitely slow down the aging process. Since it is not just the seniors who age, all of us do, yoga is for all.
You may also like: The Mustard Seed