Julian Treasure provides insight on “speaking powerfully”. He begins with “Seven deadly sins of speech”, that is things to avoid while speaking:
5. Excuses- blaming other or not taking responsibility.
6. Embroidery- exaggerations and/or lying.
7. Dogmatism – confusing opinion with fact.
So how should we speak?
2. Authenticity – stand in your own truth.
3. Integrity – Be trustworthy.
4. Love – speak to wish well or do good.
And finally he comes to the medium or the how the speech is delivered. This is when the talk comes alive and is best watched!
You may also like: A Lesson In Deep Listening
A man came home to find 3 old men with long white beards sitting in the front yard. He did not recognize them, “I don’t think I know you, but you must be hungry. Please come in and have something to eat.”
“Is the woman of the house home?” They asked.
“No”, he replied. “She’s out.”
“Then we cannot come in,” they replied.
In a few hours the wife too came home, and the husband told her what had happened.
“Go tell them I am home and invite them in!” She said.
The man again went out and invited the men in.
“We do not go into a house together,” they replied.
“Why is that?” he asked.
One of the old men explained: “His name is Wealth,” he said pointing to one of his friends, and said pointing to another one, “He is Success, and I am Love.” Then he added, “Now go in and discuss with your wife which one of us you want in your home.”
Is direct exposure to the sun advisable? What about the risk of skin cancer? Is the sun our friend or foe? Here are 10 things to know:
1. The Sun is vital for health – To put it simply: if you do not get enough sun you die. The numbers are staggering: You can reduce your risk of heart attack by 50%, reduce the risk of common cancers such as colon, prostate, and breast by 50%, reduce the risk of infectious disease including influenza by 90%, Reduce you Blood Pressure, Reduce the risk of type 2 diabetes, dementia, depression, multiple sclerosis, and autoimmune diseases. A large number of people who have been misdiagnosed as having fibromyalgia can be completely cured. All this by simply getting a sensible direct exposure to the sun. But this is not all. Exposure to sun has a positive impact on our mood and sense of wellbeing. Besides this it ensures that we get good sleep and wake up well rested.
2. But what about Melanoma? – A large number of people are scared of direct exposure of sun because of the worry of skin cancer. But here is the truth: Sensible direct exposure of sun has never been shown to cause melanoma or skin cancer. In fact there are indications that it may slightly decrease the risk of melanoma. It is only overexposure that is risky. To avoid all exposure to sun is akin to avoiding water because some people die of drowning. Just like nobody can drown in a cup of water, you are not going to get skin cancer because of required daily direct exposure of sun.
After having been rear-ended and suffering from backlash injuries that resulted in a bulging disk, this yoga fan felt 95% better within a year. She was off pain medication in 3 months. She credits her recovery to yoga, chiropractic treatment, and massages.
You may also like: Millionaire Yogi
After Mr. Harris retired, his wife insisted that he accompany her on her trips to Wal-Mart. Unfortunately, like most men, he found shopping really boring. Equally unfortunate, Mrs. Harris like most women – loves to browse & left Mr. Harris with endless time to fill.
Yesterday she got the following letter from the local Wal-Mart:
Dear Mrs. Harris:
Over the past six months, your husband has caused quite a commotion, in our store. We cannot tolerate this behavior and have been forced to, ban both of you from the store. Our complaints against your husband, Mr. Harris, are listed below and are documented by our video surveillance cameras:
1. June 15: He took 24 boxes of condoms and randomly put them in other people’s carts when they weren’t looking.
2. July 2: Set all the alarm clocks in Housewares to go off at 5-minute intervals.
3. July 7: He made a trail of tomato juice on the floor leading to the women’s restroom.
4. July 19: Walked up to an employee and told her in an official voice, ‘Code 3 in House wares. Get on it right away’. This caused the employee to leave her assigned station and receive a reprimand from her Supervisor that in turn resulted with a union grievance, causing management to lose time; and costing the company money. We don’t have a Code 3.